Signal perception at the cell surface and transduction of this signal to the cell’s interior is essential to all life forms. Plants have evolved membrane-integral receptor proteins and associated signaling cascades that drastically differ from the well-studied systems in animals. Our aim is to dissect these signaling pathways in mechanistic detail.
A second line of research aims at uncovering the roles of linear and inositol polyphosphates in plants. We are interested where these phosphate and energy-rich molecules are located within cells, how they are being synthesized/broken down and what’s their cellular function and physiological role.
Selected publications (group members in bold)
- Okuda S†, Fujita S†, Moretti A, Hohmann U,Molecular mechanism for the recognition of sequence-divergent CIF peptides by the plant receptor kinases GSO1/SGN3 and GSO2.
PNAS doi: 10.1073/pnas.1911553117 | bioRxiv doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/692228v2
Hothorn M* (2020)
- Zhu J, Lau K, Puschmann R, Harmel RK, Zhang Y, Pries V, Gaugler P, Broger L, Dutta AK, Jessen HJ, Schaaf G, Fernie AR, Hothorn LA, Fiedler D, Hothorn M (2019)
Two bifunctional inositol pyrophosphate kinases/phosphatases control plant phosphate homeostasis.
eLife pii: e43582. | bioRxiv
- Lau K†, Podolec R†, Chappuis R, Ulm R*, Hothorn* (2019) Plant photoreceptors and their signaling components compete for binding to the ubiquitin ligase COP1 using their VP-peptide motifs. EMBO Journal, e102140. doi: 10.15252/embj.2019102140 | bioRxiv doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/568618
- Lorenzo-Orts L, Witthoeft J, Deforges J, Martinez J, Loubery S, Placzek A, Poirier Y, Hothorn LA, Jaillais Y, Hothorn M (2019)
Concerted expression of a cell-cycle regulator and a metabolic enzyme from a bicistronic transcript in plants.
Nature Plants 5(2):184-193 free full-text
- Hohmann U, Nicolet J, Moretti A, Hothorn LA, Hothorn M (2018)
The SERK3 elongated allele defines a role for BIR ectodomains in brassinosteroid signalling.
Nature Plants 4:345-351 doi:10.1038/s41477-018-0150-9 | bioRxiv doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/257543
- Hohmann U, Santiago J, Nicolet J, Olsson V, Spiga FM, Hothorn LA, Butenko MA, Hothorn M (2018)
Mechanistic basis for the activation of plant membrane receptor kinases by SERK-family coreceptors.
- Wild R, Gerasimaite R, Jung JY, Truffault V, Pavlovic I, Schmidt A, Saiardi A, Jessen HJ, Poirier Y, Hothorn M, Mayer A (2016)
Control of eukaryotic phosphate homeostasis by inositol polyphosphate sensor domains.